Saturday, October 14, 2006

So I boiled down the driftwood...

...to create cellulose pulp, which I then spun into fiber and wove some ribbon, to which I afixed some chalcedony beads to create this necklace.


OK, maybe not.

Instead I made this ocean-themed scarf of silk and velvet. I'm not sure the photos turned out as well as I'd like--there is an image of a seahorse and a nautilus, along with part of an ee cummings poem, "for whatever we lose (like a you or a me) it's always ourselves that we find at the sea."

The driftwood serves as part of the toggle closure.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

is it saturday already????
very cool creation, birthday girl.

Anonymous said...

I'm back!! At least for now.

First, Happy Birthday dear Erica!! I had a birthday picture to post but alas, the storm of the century got in the way.

Second, your driftwood creation is SPECTACULAR!!!!! Is it scarf size or wrap size? Would you like more driftwood so you can make more? Hint~my birthday is in February;)

Anonymous said...

After studying your scarf , I have another question-did you wire wrap the wood? Explain how you did the toggle-please?

kristen said...

wowza! I completely love it. But I really think we're going to need an in person showing -- pictures don't do it just and I want to TOUCH!